Question: Are Facebook friends “Real Friends?”
It’s a question that many are asking themselves, and if you haven’t already asked yourself….well maybe you should! One thing that’s for sure though – you the Finance Fox readers rock! Thank you to all of you who have followed Finance Fox on FB, and for those of you who haven’t followed yet, here’s your opportunity: Click Here to Follow Finance Fox on Facebook. As for the rest of you who don’t care, well we don’t care about you either!
But back to the question on the top.
How many people on Facebook do you have that you’ve never talked to? How many Facebook friends do you talk to on a regular basis through any form of FB communication? I bet you the percentages would shock you if you really thought about it. As for me, I’m proud to have only 189 friends of my personal FB page. I’m even more proud to know each and every one of them in person. Most are acquaintances (about 70%) who I’ve done business with or somehow networked with. The remaining 30% are actual friends that I see at least once a month and communicate with on regular basis outside of Facebook.
So does Facebook stand as viable community, and are the people on your home page “real friends?” I’ll bet that many of you will say no, because it’s the face-to-face communication that counts. Yet far too many people are draining their time, energy and money (think phone data) on facebooking, tweeting, texting and other forms of informal communication. Many think it’s okay to constantly text, reply to FB messages, email and so on while in public at events such as dinners, sporting events and other social gatherings.
Okay, so there are rude and ignorant people out there. But the reality is that Facebook serves a purpose.
There are many sides, and depends which angle you look from, you may agree or disagree with me. I think FB is a great resource for maintaining connections, and getting in touch with long-last connections. Furthermore, it’s a great way to network or even possibly find your next home, car or job.
But the truth is, most of your 1000+ friends on Facebook aren’t your actual friends. They are just there. So, what would you call them? I’d call them imaginary friends, but since I know all of my 189 friends, I really don’t have that problem.
Maybe you don’t either, however for those with 500+ friends I’m willing to bet that you spend countless hours daily creeping profiles of people’s lives as they vacation, socially gather, work and everything else in between. Don’t you have anything better to do? :)
This Week’s Awesome Money Related Reads
Work Save Live – One of the biggest keys to not worrying about finances is to “get ahead” by at least one paycheck. Here’s how to stay one paycheck ahead of the game.
See Debt Run – As the housing market is finally showing signs of sustained recovery in the United States and the real estate market continues to sizzle in Canada, here’s a few things to consider before buying your next home.
The Savvy Scot – There are many ways to save throughout the divorce process so that you come out ahead—with or without the court ruling in your favour. One way possibly is having joint banking accounts.
Canadian Budget Binder – There are a lot of negative connotations with dumpster diving and as much as I don’t have issues with this myself, there are those that do. Here’s a great post on dumpster diving and top five rules to finding good stuff.
Deb Roundup – Vacations are usually expensive on their own, but they can become very expensive if you don’t do some planning ahead of time. Here’s how to spend money wisely on vacation.
Frugal Rules – It is commonly said that the stock market is led by 90% emotion and 10% reason. Here’s 4 reasons why having an investment plan will save your butt.
Passive Cleaning Income – There’s a common theme amongst all successful businesses that makes them successful. Here are the four most important commonalities shared by the most successful businesses.
iHeart Budgets – With technology reaching into most of our homes, the ability to connect with others is increasing. This ability allows for you to make money in new and interesting ways. Here are some interesting ways to make money at home.
Making Sense of Cents – Unless you were born rich, the likeliness of you going into debt at some point in your life is…well…very likely. Read Jessica’s story on how she got out of debt.
My Own Advisor – Among all the investing strategies you can use, dividend investing is probably the one which can assure you the best results when you consider the time required. Here’s a great post on dividend investing and why you should do it.
Thanks for stopping by for this edition of Finance Fox’s weekend recap.
Have a safe weekend.