One of the key ways of saving money and being frugal is by not allowing my self to get into situations. Awkward situations. Let’s face it, finances are like relationships, one minute they are great and the next minute they are sour. Why? Because you allowed your self to get into a situation.
Ways of get into a situation in relationship:
- Sleeping with an ex
- Hanging out with an ex
- Getting to close to a co-worker
- Being drunk and hanging out with an ex
- Being drunk at a bar and picking up, while in a relationship
Ways to get into a situation with finances:
- Accepting to go on shopping trips with friends (ie States)
- Browsing Ebay, Amazon, Craigslist, Kijiji etc
- Being at stores for no reason (ie window shopper)
- Shopping without a list
- Getting drunk and going shopping
- T V Shopping Channel Shopping
As you may see the pattern is quite similar, the message is the same: Don’t allow your self to get into uneasy situations. If you can not go to a mall, browse for 2hrs and come out without buying nothing, than simply don’t go. Don’t tempt your self and put your wallet through misery, who is probably screaming; “Please don’t open me up, we don’t need to be here”
I have been working over the past few months diligently on avoiding the stores, except the grocery store, but even when I go to the grocery store, I go with a list and my budget in cash, so I only spend that $25 I brought with me and not even another dollar on the “Ice Cream on Sale”. Is this easy? Absolutely not! I am tempted every time I go anywhere near the mall, but the more I stick to it, the more successful I will become with my finances and hopefully one day to financial freedom.