You might have heard the expression before, “It’s all in the list.” What they’re referring to is an email marketing list and using it as a powerful tool that can extend your reach beyond your blog and instantly create opportunities for new sales. If you simply sell to customers when they happen to visit your site, you have an all-or-nothing chance of making a sale. Should they leave without making a purchase, there’s no guarantee they’ll return later. But when you build an email list with current readers you can reach out repeatedly to the readers with targeted messages.
When I started Finance Fox, it took me nearly a year to get onto the email marketing train. Looking back now I wish I started building my list from day one. Even though my blog at times is personal. I do, however, write a lot of non-personal yet informative posts. This has lead me to start my email marketing list about a year ago. If you’re looking for more direct and personal stuff pertaining to personal finance, I’d highly advise you to sign up on the top right hand corner of the main page. Not only will you be exposed to some pretty awesome stuff that I don’t publish here, but you’ll gain access to some pretty awesome giveaways.
Email marketing has been around for a while, but has only started to gain massive exposure within the last five or so years. Being a marketer by day, I get to see first hand the value it provides to large corporations if used right. Anytime we ran a “sales special” we posted staggering sales months. But more importantly this gave us another excuse or opportunity to get in-front our clients. Obviously not everyone was ready to buy at that instant moment of the sales special, but with some feedback we were able to gain leads that were buying in the near future of 3 to 6 months – something we wouldn’t have otherwise known if we didn’t run the email marketing campaign.
That’s why it was a no brainer for me to start my own email marketing list. I figured if I didn’t start it, then I’d be leaving money and visitors on the table.
How to Grow/Start Your List
It’s your job to make sure you’re constantly adding fresh contacts to your email campaigns so you can keep your numbers moving in the positive direction. So in order to keep the numbers on the plus side, here’s a few things you should consider:
- Create regular online contests such as free giveaways, and have entrants sign up or submit with their email address.
Create a new lead-gen offer – like a free eBook and require visitors to provide their email address in order to download it.
- When creating content as a guest blogger, include a call-to-action and link for readers to subscribe to your site’s blog or email database in your author byline.
- Use your Facebook page to promote an offer that requires an email address submission. In addition to creating a tab dedicated to email sign up, promote offers in your timeline and encourage your leads to share and like your offers on Facebook by adding a social sharing button on your landing pages and thank-you pages.
- Lastly your content needs to be superb in order to have an effective email marketing list. If you want people to stay subscribed and if you want them to forward it to their friends, family, and colleagues that aren’t already on your email list – write amazing content that’s not already published on your blog.
Have a List?
Email marketing is a lot of work and dedication . Here’s how to make the most out of your email accounts:
- Regularly send out emails to contacts. If you don’t contact your subscribers on a regular basis, then they will forget why they are only your mailing list. This is especially true if they signed up to your list because you offered an incentive to do so, like a free eBook or contest.
- Offer a different look in your emails as opposed to what’s offered in your blog. Use the signature function provided to provide your contacts an alternative way to find you, such a possibly your social-media accounts or even a phone number in some instances. If you’re worried about the fancy signature graphics using up your email storage space, you can get extra email hosting space from 123-reg.
- Encourage your current email subscribers to share and forward your emails by including social share buttons. This ties into the above point, and if used correctly, it will offer you additional promotion and new readers to your blog.
- Run promotions that are geared towards your subscribers. But keep it separate from your website or blog. This will make your readers feel special. After all they did take the time to sign up, so they’re special to begin with.
- Looking to develop an eBook? Your email subscribers will be your first customers.
Even though the hardest part is just finding the time to start building a list. But once you dedicate enough time to your email list, staying in touch is simple – and most of all, rewarding if done right.
Thanks for reading & happy emailing!